Recipe by emily9
I got this out of my Family Circle magazine years ago. These really are good cookies.
Top Review by cookingpompom
I ground my oats (about 3 cups became 2 of an oat powder) but other wise made as written. Chewy and delicious. I made this for a friend who had a baby 3 weeks ago, I gave her a large plate full and I got a lovely thank you message telling me how wonderful they were. Such a great recipe, can't wait to try them again with white chocolate and nuts. ( I should mention I got just under 7 dozen - that is a lot of cookies!!) Thanks for posting!
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup firmly packed light-brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 (12 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Grease baking sheets.
- Combine flour, salt and baking soda.
- Beat together shortening, sugars and vanilla in large bowl with electric mixer until creamy.
- Add eggs, beating until light and fluffy.
- On low speed, gradually beat in flour mixture and rolled oats.
- Stir in chococlate chips.
- Drop batter by well-rounded measuring teaspoonfuls onto greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 350°F oven for 8-10 minutes or until golden.