Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
A traditional cheese soufflé made with Black Diamond Extra Old White Cheddar. Dedicated to my dear friend Mrs. B.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard (i.e. powdered)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated black diamond extra-old white cheddar cheese
- 4 eggs, separated
- grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt butter in saucepan. Add flour, salt, paprika and mustard; blend. Add milk, stir til it boils. Add cheese, stir til smooth.
- Remove from heat. Add 4 beaten yolks gradually, beating after each addition. Let cool. (Mixture can stand as long as necessary.).
- Just before baking, butter a 2-quart soufflé dish, dust with grated cheese (optional). Beat whites stiff, fold into cheese. Fill soufflé dish. Place in a pan of hot water 1” deep. Bake 30-40 minutes til browned and firm to the touch. Remove and serve at once.