Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
My mom has been making this delicious chili soup for as long as I can remember. She never used a recipe but I finally got her to write it down for me! Cooking time does not include optional simmering time.
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (48 ounce) can tomato juice
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 2 (16 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 (16 ounce) cans kidney beans or 2 (16 ounce) cans pinto beans
- Optional herbs and spices to taste: Pepper, garlic salt, thyme, rosemary, tarragon, oregano.
- Brown the meat with the chopped onion.
- Add the flour one tablespoon at a time, stirring after each addition.
- Add the remaining ingredients including any optional herbs or spices, stirring thoroughly.
- Heat through over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately or allow to simmer over low heat.