Recipe by Scandigirl
This is my favourite brown bean dish. I make it often for a large crowd, and I'm asked for the recipe every time. Here it finally is... so, enjoy!
Top Review by Salesgirl
I almost didn't review this recipe because I'm embarrassed that I made it. What was I thinking? In the mood for comfort food - thinking this would be good. It was not. It was mediocure at best. Mom always told me if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything but it seems to me the success of this website is that you can generally rely on the reviews - good and bad - and that both are important. Sorry Scandigirl.
- 6 lbs lean ground beef
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 4 large onions, chopped
- 2 cups boiling water
- 4 bouillon cubes
- 4 -28 ounces baked beans with molasses
- 3 cups ketchup
- 2 cups mustard
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 10 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook ground beef in a large pot with the chopped onions, garlic and celery until meat is browned well, and vegetables are soft.
- Drain away any fat.
- Dissolve bouillon cubes in the boiling water; stir into beef mixture.
- Add the canned beans, mustard, ketchup, salt and pepper.
- Stir well.
- Cover and bake in oven at 375°F for 1 hour.
- To serve I top with the crumbled bacon.