Prep 10 mins
Cook 24 hrs
Mrs. Beasley often brought this to church potlucks when I was a kid. She was our school (Cherry Valley Brethren Elementary) janitors wife and a kind, quiet woman. I think of her when I make this. She had Celiac Disease so there is no wheat/gluten in this dish. One of my favorite things in this recipe is the way the onions take on that sweet pickled flavor and get milder with setting. Mrs. Beasley used only 1/2 teaspoon dill seed but I like it better with more. The sugar may be modified to your taste.
- 1⁄3 cup salad oil
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dill seeds
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can yellow wax beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can green beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans
- 1⁄2 onion, ringed
- Put the oil, sugar, vinegar, salt and dill seed into a well sealed Tupperware/Rubber maid type container and shake well.
- Add the remaining ingredients and shake again.
- Chill overnight.