Recipe by Steve P.
This baked cheesecake has the spongy consistency of the European cheesecake, not the heavy, puddinglike consistency of so-called New York cheesecakes.
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 lb cream cheese
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 juice and grated lemon, rind of
- 1 teaspoon lemons or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- candied lemon peel, slices and thin slices of candied citron for decoration
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan.
- Melt the butter, then combine with the graham cracker crumbs and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Press the crumbs into the bottom and about 1/2 inch up the sides of the pan.
- Save a few crumbs for the topping.
- Combine the egg yolks, cream cheese, sour cream, sugar, lemon juice and rind, vanilla and flour in a large bowl.
- Beat well until light and fluffy.
- Beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks, then fold them into the cream cheese mixture.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle top with the remaining crumbs.
- Bake the cake for 1 hour then turn off the oven and leave cake for another hour in the oven.
- Then open oven door and leave ajar 30 minutes before removing cake.
- Decorate with candied lemon and citron.
- Loosen the springform before refrigerating but do not remove it until ready to serve.
- Serve chilled.