Recipe by Bergy
This was my playmate's mother's recipe Oh how I loved this date loaf! (Doris Eppinger --neeAllen). After school if we were lucky we'd get a slice. I hope it tastes as good now as it did 63 years ago.
Top Review by Honeybeee
Awesome! I'm not surprised that you remember this loaf even after 63 years! Its moist and soft and tastes wonderful! I followed the recipe exactly as stated and was very happy with the result. Definitely a keeper....I shall be making this very often. Thank you for sharing the recipe, Bergy :)
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup nuts (walnuts,Hazel, pecans your choice)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350F, lightly grease a loaf pan.
- Mix the dates, butter& boiling water, set aside& cool.
- When cooled mix in the beaten egg& sugar.
- Mix the flour, baking soda& salt together.
- Add dry ingredients to the batter.
- Add nuts and vanilla, blend well.
- Pour into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake in 350F oven for 50-60 minutes or until a wooden skewer comes out clean when inserted in the center.