This was my playmate's mother's recipe Oh how I loved this date loaf! (Doris Eppinger --neeAllen). After school if we were lucky we'd get a slice. I hope it tastes as good now as it did 63 years ago.
- Heat oven to 350F, lightly grease a loaf pan.
- Mix the dates, butter& boiling water, set aside& cool.
- When cooled mix in the beaten egg& sugar.
- Mix the flour, baking soda& salt together.
- Add dry ingredients to the batter.
- Add nuts and vanilla, blend well.
- Pour into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake in 350F oven for 50-60 minutes or until a wooden skewer comes out clean when inserted in the center.
Awesome! I'm not surprised that you remember this loaf even after 63 years! Its moist and soft and tastes wonderful! I followed the recipe exactly as stated and was very happy with the result. Definitely a keeper....I shall be making this very often. Thank you for sharing the recipe, Bergy :)
Yum! Soft and tasty! This is so easy to make and tasted delicious with a cup of tea. Thanks Bergy!
Amazing. For an healthier version... 1/2 the sugar, use whole wheat flour, use oil instead of butter and add an extra table spoon. Measure the dates once chopped and pack the cup. Easy to double up the recipe to get two loaves for the same amount of work. Walnuts in there were delicious!