Prep 1 hr
Cook 10 mins
The Adams lived next door to us all my life. They always had a beautiful garden and always shared the bounty. Mom and I recently started going through her "recipe drawer" and came across a handwritten card from Mrs. Adams with this recipe on it. I remember having this every summer. We love chow chow with our beans or mixed into deviled eggs or potato salad.
- 1 gallon green tomato (roughly chopped)
- 5 bell peppers (roughly chopped)
- 3 -10 hot peppers (we like it super hot)
- 12 medium onions (roughly chopped)
- 1 bunch celery (roughly chopped)
- 1 small cabbage (roughly chopped)
- 3 pints regular vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup salt
- 4 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 lemons, juice of
- 6 cups sugar
- Grind vegetables or pulse in food processor (Mrs. Adams ground hers, I just chop mine fine).
- Drain vegetables.
- Mix salt, spices, sugar and vinegar and heat through.
- Pour over vegetables and add lemon juice.
- Can as you normally would.