Recipe by JT'sMom
This is Emeril's Father's Meatloaf recipe. It was in "Martha Stewart's Everyday Food" Emeril says, "This remains the gold standard against which I judge meatloaves to this very day".COOKS NOTE: If you cannot find Emeril's Creole Seasoning in the store or prefer to make your own, use Emeril's Creole Seasoning recipe here on Zaar.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup plain dried breadcrumbs
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped (ribs and seeds removed)
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
- coarse salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon emeril's creole seasoning (see cooks note)
- 8 ounces fresh chorizo sausage (not smoked)
- 1⁄2 cup chili sauce (bottled)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350F, line a rimmed baking sheet with foil; set aside.
- In a large bowl combine all ingredients, except for the chorizo sausage and chili sauce,.
- Gently mix to combine (do not over mix).
- Place half of the meat mixture on prepared sheet pan, form into a 9 x 4 - inch loaf.
- Using a paring knife, remove casing from the chorizo (keeping the shape intact). Place chorizo lengthwise down the center of loaf. Cover with the other half of meat mixture, enclosing the chorizo and patting to adhere.
- Brush chili sauce over meatloaf. Bake basting occasionally with pan juices, until an instant read thermometer inserted in the center of the loaf reads 160 degrees, about 1 hour.
- Let stand 15 minutes before serving.