Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is the rolled cabbage casserole-type recipe with a little different flavoring than I've seen before. Mr. Food says this recipe is "So-o good" and I am putting it here so I can find it to try for myself!
- 1 1⁄4 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup bread, crumbs unseasoned
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium head of cabbage, shredded (12-14 cups)
- 1 (16 ounce) can cranberry sauce (jelled or whole berry)
- 5 gingersnap cookies, crumbled (1/4 cup crumbs)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 (28 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- In a bowl, combine the ground beef, bread crumbs, egg, salt and pepper. Form into 1-inch balls (1 tablespoon each).
- Place 1/2 of cabbage in a soup pot. Add the meatballs. Spread the cranberry sauce over and sprinkle with the gingersnap crumbs and lemon juice. Add remaining cabbage. Pour the spaghetti sauce over all. Do NOT stir.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes. Stir gently. You do not want to break up the meatballs. Simmer 40 more minutes, stirring halfway.
I used to make this when my children were younger. Mr. Food's show was our noontime break from homeschool lessons. Searching for the recipe in my notebook, my (now 21-year old) son asked what recipe I was looking for. I said it has hamburger and cabbage and cranberry sauce."Oh! Mr. Food's recipe!" :-) So thankful it's online because I couldn't find my original recipe from the show. This dish not only brings good food to the table, but sweet memories, too!