Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a recipe that I have made for years and never divulged the source lol. I try to make this with well drained browned ground lamb, almost an impossibility to find where I lived in Florida. It works ok with ground turkey, too.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and diced, about 4 cups
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet, sauté ground beef over medium high heat for 7-8 minutes or until crumbly and only slightly pink.
- Drain off any excess liquid.
- Add eggplant to same skillet and sauté for 5-6 minutes or until eggplant starts to soften.
- Add garlic, cinnamon, 1 teaspoon of salt, and pepper.
- Mix well.
- Add spaghetti sauce and cook for 4-5 minutes or until hot.
- Grease a 7 x 11 inch glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place meat/eggplant mixture into baking dish, smooth the top.
- In a small bowl combine the eggs, milk, salt and mix until smooth.
- Pour over the meat mixture.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until custard is set.
What can I say...this rocks! I am a spice addict so I added some "Mediterranean spice" that I had laying around and used egg substitute instead of eggs and didn't peel the eggplant, otherwise I followed the recipe. Just as wonderful rewarmed. Hubby and I loved it! Thanks,Mandabears!
Super easy with a ton of flavor. I made this with ground lamb, but otherwise followed the recipe as written, perhaps using 2 cups of spaghetti sauce to get it to the consistency that I like. This came out perfectly was devoured by everyone! Thanks for sharing this lovely recipe.