Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is another recipe from my life-long partner, Mr. Ed. We think it's the best one out there. This is about technique. Please try it our way the first time and see what happens.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 3⁄4 cup oatmeal (not instant)
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Combine all ingredients in large bowl. Mix well. If too dry, add a little more milk. If it looks too wet, add a little more oatmeal.
- Spray 9 x 13 baking pan with cooking spray.
- Shape meat loaf into 2 long logs.
- Take the pan with the meat loaf over to the kitchen sink. Turn on cold water. Put some water on your hand and gently rub over top and sides of each log. Make sure both logs are well sealed with the water. Don't put the pan with the meat loaf under the running water. Just a little on your hand works well. This will seal the meat loaf so it doesn't crack. Bake at 350* for 1 hour or until done. Let rest 5-10 minutes. Remove to serving platter and slice into serving size portions. We serve this with baked or mashed potatoes and a green vegetable, usually green beans. We like lots of catsup to dip the meat into.
Made it to go with the potato salad, again had to use green onions (hummm, must go to the store), I did miss the sweetness from the ketchup that I'm used to but it had a very good homey taste, I would make again. Thanks again for posting