Recipe by Northern Cook
I adapted this recipe from the back of a package of Mr. Dell's shredded hash brown potatoes. This recipe is always requested for Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter. The best part is, if there are any leftovers, they make a great breakfast side dish the morning after.
Top Review by ldbusch1
My family loves this recipe and I started out with this recipe followed to the letter but have tweaked it over the years. Instead of the regular hash browns we use the O'Brien hash browns for more flavor and it eliminates the small step of chopping the onions. Also, since there is no such thing as too much cheese in my house, we use cheddar cheese soup and finally top it off with French Fried onions. It is by no means a healthy dinner but it is a great comfort food for cold rainy nights! Serve with a salad and you should have enough left over for a breakfast side dish the next morning. :)
- 2365.9 ml mr. dell's shredded hash browns
- 59.14 ml butter or 59.14 ml margarine
- 283.49 g can cream of chicken soup (or cream of anything soup)
- 340.19 g sour cream
- 118.29 ml milk, I always use skim
- 118.29 ml chopped green onion
- 473.18 ml grated cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter or margarine and pour into a 9X13 inch baking dish, then add 5 cups of the shredded hash brown potatoes, no need to thaw.
- In a separate bowl, mix soup (in a pinch, I've used cream of celery and cream of mushroom and it turned out fine), sour cream, milk, and green onions, then pour 1/2 of this mixture over the hash browns. Spread the mixture around over the hashbrowns evenly using a spatula. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle one cup grated cheese on top.
- Add the remainder of the hash brown potatoes and pour the remaining soup mixture on top, again, spread out evenly using a spatula. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- Bake for 55 minutes.
- **If at the end of the 55 minutes baking time the top hasn't browned to your liking, set the oven to broil and it will quickly brown the top of the cheese to a crispy golden brown.
- When done, let set up for 5-10 minutes before cutting into servings.