Recipe by candcmom
This is Warren Brown's recipe. It is INCREDIBLE!!! Timing is the key. You won't be sorry!
Top Review by Can't Hardly Cook
I've made this buttercream 5 times now and this recipe has never failed me. Just follow the recipe to the letter and you'll be ok. Also, know that almost the entire time you are making this, the mess in your mixing bowl will NOT look right up until about the last 20 seconds before/after you put in that last little cube of butter. As soon as you add the butter to the sugar/eggwhite, it will metamophosize from a beautiful white fluff to a soupy mess, then to a curdled mess, to finally--just like magic--it becomes this beautiful, pipable buttercream. I doubled the recipe with no problem.
It's a pain, and it takes a lot of time, but the end result is well worth it.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 5 egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 cups unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into tablespoons
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil 1 cup sugar and 1/4 cup water over medium heat until it reaches 245. As it cooks begin meringue so it's ready when syrup is done.
- Whip egg whites with a wire whisk in a stand up mixer on high until soft peaks form. About 1-2 minutes. Sprinkle in 1/4 cup sugar. Beat.
- Slowly pour the hot syrup into the meringue steadily with the mixer still on high.
- Beat the frosting for 7-10 minutes until the outside of the bowl is room temperature.
- Beat in butter by the tablespoon. The butter will deflate the frosting a bit.
- Add in desired flavorings.
- Chocolate: 1/2 cup melted and cooled chocolate and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Coconut: 1 teaspoon coconut extract and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Coffee: 1 teaspoon espresso powder or 3-5 tablespoons strong coffee.