Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This salad is the quintessential regional dish of the Lower Alabama Gulf Coast area. It was invented by the late Bill Bayley, who owned a steak and seafood restaurant of good repute. It must be prepared exactly as directed, with careful layering. Use the coldest ice water you can find in the recipe. The longer this one marinates, the better. The recipe sounds simple, but the results are indescribably delicious. This well-guarded recipe was finally published in 1964 in the Junior League of Mobile cookbook, Recipe Jubilee. Cooking time refers to time needed to marinate (2-12 hours).
- Follow these instructions to the letter!
- Spread half of onion over bottom of large bowl.
- Cover with separated crab lumps.
- Add the remaining onion.
- Salt and pepper.
- Pour oil, vinegar and ice water over all.
- Cover and marinate 2-12 hours.
- Toss lightly before serving.
- Serve as a"salad" on a bed of lettuce or on crackers as an appetizer.
- Variation: Substitute royal red shrimp for the crabmeat.