Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
a tasty dish, with ingredients good for the whole family.
Make and share this Mozzarella Ziti With Sausage recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb Italian sausage, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 medium onion, coursely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, julienned
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 teaspoon ketchup
- 1 (16 ounce) package ziti pasta
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cook sausage, onion, and bell pepper in oil over medium heat in a large skillet and drain.
- Add diced tomatoes, stewed tomatoes, and ketchup and mix well.
- Cook ziti according to package directions and drain.
- In a large bowl, combine sausage tomato mixture, and toss with pasta and cheese.
- Spoon into a greased 3 quart baking dish.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
This had great flavor and made a ton of food. I used mini ziti and only half a box - a whole box 16 oz would have been way too much pasta (maybe the smaller pasta had something to do with it being too much). I used homemade stewed tomatoes so no chopped topped with Italian sauce then the cheese. I used mozzarella and Parmesan cheese mixed about 1 1/2 cups. I would use different cheese next time and there will be a next time. Thanks we served this with cornbread and a salad.
Comfort food, glorious comfort food! I have to say, this casserole totally outdid my expectations for it. It's so delicious! The onions, peppers and stewed tomatoes in it just made it something more special than your typical jarred 'sauce' thrown in. I didn't understand the addition of the ketchup but who cares, it worked and this dish is a hit! The only thing I did outside of the recipe as written was to add extra cheese to the top for the last 10 minutes of baking time (with the foil off), and I baked for 30 minutes total. Oh, and I used rotini pasta. Great recipe! Made for PAC Spring 2011.
Yum!!! I made this as listed except that I used orange peppers and added a bit of cheese on top. Very filling, very tasty, quite healthy! Made for Zaar Stars. Thanks weekend cooker! :)