Recipe by TasteTester
My son, Jeffrey, found a little vegetarian café near his college and took me there. I've now become addicted to their food and especially love their paninis. I saw this recipe and it looks like it will be very similar to a panini they make.
- 2 ripe plum tomatoes, cored and sliced
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaf
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 8 slices cut from a loaf country bread
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare outdoor grill for direct grilling on medium.
- Divide plum tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, basil leaves, salt and pepper evenly among four bread slices. Top with remaining 4 slices of bread.
- Place 2 panini on hot grill grate. Place a heavy skillet with a heatproof handle (preferably a cast iron one) on top and press down. If you don't have a cast iron skillet, you can substitute a clean brick, thoroughly wrapped in aluminum foil, on top of each panini.
- Cook 3-4 minutes, or until bread is toasted and browned, then turn over and cook 3-4 minutes on the other side. Repeat with remaining 2 panini. Cut in halves to serve.