Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is very different and so good, you'll want to eat the whole pan yourself!...a delicious bread crumb mixture sandwiched between two layers of sliced tomatoes, topped with melted mozza cheese..... a great side dish...so yummy!.
- 4 medium tomatoes, sliced (more if desired)
- 8 cups soft breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided (more if desired)
- 5 -6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (more if desired)
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, r to taste
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- Place a single layer of the sliced tomatoes in the bottom of the prepared greased baking pan (use just half of the tomatoes for the bottom); set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese (if using), 2 cups of the shredded mozza cheese, crumbled bacon, butter, celery, onion, eggs, garlic salt and oregano; mix well to combine.
- Spoon all of the bread crumb mixture over the tomatoes in the baking pan.
- Top with the remaining sliced tomatoes.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup (or more if desired) mozza cheese.
- Bake uncovered, for 30 minutes, or until heated through-- DELICIOUS!
- Note: garlic powder may be used in place of garlic salt, just add 1/2- 1 tsp seasoning salt, or to taste (or regular white salt, I prefer seasoning salt) to the bread crumb mixture if using just garlic powder.