Recipe by Evamyth
I got this recipe from a "Canadian Dairy Farmers" card from the 1990's. My hubby loves this as he is a cheese fanatic. I like it because the spaghetti cooks right in the pot with the sauce so I have one less pot to wash.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms (I use 1 can 500 g)
- 1 cup chopped onion (I use 1)
- 1 cup chopped green pepper (I use 1)
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, not drained
- 1 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 cups spaghetti, broken into thirds (uncooked)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons italian seasoning (I usually use more)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- ***VARIATION***Colby Macaroni Replace the spaghetti with 1-1/2 cups (375 ml) macaroni.
- Replace the Italian seasoning with 1-1/4 tsp (7 ml) Worcestershire sauce.
- Replace the Mozzarella with an equal amount of Colby cheese.
- In a large pan, brown the beef, mushrooms, onion and pepper.
- Cook over medium heat until the veggies are tender.
- Drain any fat.
- Cut up tomatoes, add with the juices to the pan.
- Add the water, spaghetti, Italian seasoning and salt.
- bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and let simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the spaghetti is cooked.
- Stir occasionally.
- Add the cheese, stir until it is melted.