Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Kalamata olives are recommended f0r this recipe.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large red onion, peeled and very coarsely chopped
- 8 ounces peeled baby-cut fresh carrots, very coarsely chopped
- 2 small celery ribs, very coarsely chopped
- 1 large baking potato, peeled and diced (about 12 ounces)
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary (3 inches) or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled
- 14 1⁄2 ounces canned chicken broth
- 12 ounces canned evaporated milk (use skim, if you like)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh whole milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce
- 4 ounces finely shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄3 cup sliced pitted ripe olives
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oil in large, heavy saucepan over moderate heat 1 minute.
- Add onion, carrots, celery, potato, garlic, bay leaf, and rosemary; cook, stirring often, 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and "sweat" vegetables 10 minutes.
- Add broth, bring to gently boil, cover, and cook until potato is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf and rosemary sprig; add evaporated milk, milk, and red pepper sauce and bring to a simmer.
- Off heat, add mozzarella and stir until smooth.
- Stir in olives and salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into heated soup bowls and serve.