1/1 Photo of Mozzarella "s'mores"
This recipe was found on the epicurious.com website. I have been holding it for some time and finally had a chance to sample it at a party that I recently hosted. The website describes this as "flame-roasted mozzarella cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, and basil squeezed between grilled bread slices or crackers." What could be better? You will need 2 to 6 long barbecue forks or skewers. We prepared this over a fire pit and found that the metal skewers became very hot while roasting the cheese. Forks with wooden handles are recommended.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 16 sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 -3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, if needed
- 8 -10 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 16 pieces (cut the cheese into 4 thick slices, then cut each slice into quarters)
- 16 fresh basil leaves
- 16 slices French bread or 16 slices baguette, grilled and garlic rubbed or 32 crackers
- 1Place the tomatoes in an attractive serving bowl.
- 2Arrange the mozzarella, basil leaves, and grilled bread or crackers in bowls or on a platter.
- 3Set up the grill for direct grilling and preheat to high. In the best of all worlds, you'd use a charcoal grill, raking the embers into a pile at the bottom of the grill and leaving off the grill grate. If using a gas grill, preheat it superhot.
- 4Skewer a cube of mozzarella. Roast it over the fire, turning the skewer to evenly melt the cheese. If using a gas grill, you'll need to bring it as close as possible to the fire without touching the grate. When the mozzarella begins to melt and brown, after 1 to 2 minutes over charcoal, a little longer over gas, use a knife or fork to scrape the cheese off the skewer onto a piece of grilled bread. Never attempt to eat the melted cheese directly off the hot skewer — you'll burn your lips. Top the cheese with a basil leaf and a piece of sun-dried tomato and place a second piece of grilled bread on top. Eat at once.
- 5NOTE: Sun-dried tomatoes come in two forms: oil-packed and dried. Oil-packed tomatoes just need to be drained before you use them. The dried kind need to be soaked in water and marinated in olive oil. To reconstitute the tomatoes, place them in a heatproof bowl and add boiling water to cover. Let soak for 1 hour. Drain the tomatoes well and blot dry. Toss with the olive oil.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mozzarella "s'mores"
Serving Size: 1 (1318 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 238.1
- Calories from Fat 61
- Total Fat 6.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 11.2 mg
- Sodium 520.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 9.0 g