Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
from The Mediterranean Slow Cooker
- 3⁄4 cup sun-dried tomato
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 sweet Italian sausages
- 6 cups day old Italian bread, lightly toasted (cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 5 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- salt and pepper
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese or 8 ounces provolone cheese, chopped
- Spray the insert of a large slow cooker with nonstick spray.
- Place the sun-dried tomatoes in a small bowl with warm water to cover. Let stand for 10 minutes, then drain and chop the tomatoes.
- In a Medium skillet, heat the oil and saute the onion until soft, about 5 minutes. Crumble the sausages into the pan and brown.
- Place the bread cubes in the slow cooker and add the sausage mixture and tomatoes, tossing well to mix.
- in a large bowl, whisk the eggs until blended. Stir in the milk, a pinch of salt and pepper to taste. Pour over the bread cubes and press the bread down into the liquid. Sprinkle with the cheese, avoiding the sides of the insert. Cover and cook on high for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Run a knife around the edges of the slow cooker insert and cut the bread pudding into wedges to serve.