Recipe by The Kitchen Assistant
A wonderful and easy appetizer for your Italian Dinner! Make more sandwiches depending on how many guests by increasing amounts of ingredients.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Made these while hosting a small group, & relied on their comments to rate this, 'cause there's no way I'd sink my teeth into an anchovy ANYTHING! Absolutely true, but that doesn't stop me from making something that others might enjoy, & they did, devouringly so! The way they put it, "Hey, Dumb-#*$! You don't know what you're missing!" Ah, so! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick-A-Chef]
- 12 slices white bread
- 1⁄2 lb of thinly sliced mozzarella cheese
- 3 slices prosciutto (thin slices)
- anchovy paste
- 1 cup flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
- olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Lay out 6 slices of bread.
- Place one piece of mozzarella (can use fresh balls sliced thin) on each.
- Lay on a small piece of prosciutto.
- Smear with a dab of anchovy paste.
- Top with remaining bread slices.
- Press down and cut with a 3" round cutter into circles.
- Put flour, egg, and breadcrumbs into separate bowls.
- Dip one sandwich circle into the flour, then the egg, then the breadcrumbs.
- Make sure edges are sealed.
- Fry in hot olive oil until golden and drain on paper towels.
- Mangia subito! Eat right away!