Portobello mushrooms serve as edible plates on which you stack mouthwatering vegetables and gooey mozzarella cheese (try smoked). This recipe is thanks to the American Heart Association.
- 4 portabella mushrooms, about 3 . 5 ounces each, stems removed
- 1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped, yell preferred
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 8 ounces tomato sauce, with out salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2⁄3 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese or 2⁄3 cup smoked mozzarella cheese
- 2 teaspoons parmesan cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 400*F. Lightly spray a nonstick baking sheet with vegetable oil spray. Lightly spray both sides of the mushrooms with vegetable oil spray; place with the stem side up on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 minutes, or until fork tender. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Remove from heat and lightly spray with vegetable oil spray (being careful not to spray near a gas flame). Cook the zucchini, bell peppers, onion, and basil for 5 minutes, or until the zucchini is tender. Stir in the tomato sauce, sugar, salt, and red pepper flakes; cook for 4 minutes, or until thickened, stirring frequently.
- Spoon 1/2 cup zucchini mixture over each mushroom; top with the mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 5 minutes, or until the mozzarella has melted. Remove frome oven. Sprinkle with the Parmesan.
Made a single serving of this for lunch today and it was so good!! I used red bell pepper but otherwise followed the recipe. It was very filling and a healthy one-dish meal! Made for AUS/NZ Make My Recipe Tag.
WOW - I scaled this back for 2 large mushrooms and couldn't get all the filling in so served a little on the side, actually I think the filling would be nice as a side by itself or wrapped in flat bread. This made a great snack for the DM and I and any recipe that gets her to eat her vegetables is great in my book but when it is this good and packed with flavour even better still. Thank you Debbwl, made for Went to Market.
Very yummy. I cooked extra sauce in the pan with it and sopped it up with some garlic bread, which was the perfect side dish!