Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
I was looking for a recipe for tomato pie or tart. I developed my own recipe based on ideas drawn from several sources. The number of tomatoes and amount of mozzarella are just approximations since I mostly made this recipe up. Let this not deter you from trying this one. I tried this one today and the results were so yummm...
- 1 store-bought pie crust (for a 9" pie)
- 3 -4 roma tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup Italian cheese blend or 1⁄2 cup any shredded cheese, of your choice
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons walnuts or 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 cloves garlic
- olive oil, as needed
- Prebake a 9" pie crust according to the package directions until barely golden brown.
- Preheat oven to 400 degree farenheit.
- Remove from oven and add the shredded cheeses.
- Let cool.
- Prepare pesto by grinding together all the ingredients and adding enough oil to form a coarse,thick paste.
- Core tomatoes and slice into 1/2 inch thick rings.
- Salt the slices liberally and place them on paper towels for 30 minutes.
- Press slices to extract all the liquid and wipe off as much salt as possible.
- Assemble the pie: Place the sliced mozzarella onto the cooled pie shell (arrange enough slices to closely fit into the shell).
- All the slices you may have might not be needed.
- Spread the pesto over the mozzarella in a thick layer to coat the cheese well.
- Arrange sliced tomatoes on top and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 15 min until cheese melts and pie is golden brown.