Recipe by KaraRN
This is a family favorite of mine. My mom used to make this for our family when I was growing up. My DH don't eat the meat and cheese thing, so I have been craving this, which gave me the idea to post it here for someone else to enjoy since I can't! Enjoy!
Top Review by GaylaV
My family enjoyed your meatloaf. I thought it was going to be more difficult to put together than it was. I used the parchment paper to help me roll it and it worked great. It was moist even though I had to keep it in the oven after it was done as my crew were not ready for dinner. I think it would be better with fresh mushrooms and will try that next time. I also think that the tomato sauce on top could use a little dressing up. Thanks for posting this recipe. Reviewed for PAC Fall 2007.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground chuck
- 4 slices bread (toasted)
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon minced onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce, -divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushroom pieces, -drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine meat, toast, egg, minced onion and oregano with 3/4 c tomato sauce in large mixing bowl. Mix well.
- Pat mixture in a 9X13 pan lined with wax paper.
- Sprinkle cheese and mushrooms in the middle.
- Roll up to form the meatloaf. Make sure to seal the seam as tight as you can to prevent the cheese from running out when cooking.
- Place in pan seam side down.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes.
- Add remaining tomato sauce and bake 30 minutes more or until done.