Recipe by Sassy Cat
This is for Trina who does not like meat loaf but said this was "grubbin"
Top Review by Out of the Blue
Very yummy meatloaf. I used seasoned breadcrumbs, omitted the salt and added black pepper. Next time, I'll use fresh mushrooms and onions rather than canned and dried. I also used mushrooms spaghetti sauce in place of the ketchup. Thanks for the nice dinner and for posting.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, beaten slightly
- 4 tablespoons instant minced onion
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1 1⁄2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms, sliced
- 4 -6 slices bacon, cooked and diced
- 1 -2 tablespoon parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- You can use a combination of ground meats.
- I like a combination of beef, pork and veal.
- Combine ground meats, bread crumbs, egg, onions, salt and oregano with 1/2 cup ketchup in a bowl.
- Mixing well.
- Pat meat mixture flat onto a 9" X 13" piece of waxed paper.
- Sprinkle the meat with cheese, mushrooms, bacon, and parsley.
- Roll, as for a jelly roll, using the waxed paper to help you start to roll.
- Sealing edge and ends.
- Rolling the meat is a little tricky, but if there is a break in the meat just smooth over with your fingers.
- it will still taste great.
- With a little practice you will be a pro.
- Use the waxed paper to transfer the meat loaf to a 9" X 13" pan.
- Place seam side down.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Pour off drippings.
- Spoon remaining ketchup over loaf.
- At this time I like to garnish the meat loaf with sliced black olives, or onion slices and a sprinkling of parsley.
- Or you can place bell pepper slices on the meat.
- Bake for 30 minutes longer.
- Let cool for a few minutes before slicing.
- *Ifyou want a really Italian tasting meat loaf use spaghetti sauce.