Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is different than others. The convenience of egg roll wrappers, and string cheese takes the form of mozzeralla sticks, and a clean tasting marinara sauce is not overly spiced like some other sauces we've all had. From our home to you and yours. The yield is 2 dozen mozzarella sticks and 3 cups of sauce, I'm estimating 12 servings which will provide 2 apiece, adjust accordingly.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 24 egg roll wraps
- 24 pieces mozzarella string cheese
- oil, for deep-fat frying
- In a large asucepan, saute onion and garlic in olive oil. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, water, sugar, salt and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-30 minutes, or until thickened.
- Meanwhile, place an egg roll wrapper on a work surface with point facing you. Place a piece of cheese near the bottom corner. Fold bottom corner of wrapper over cheese; roll up just until cheese is enclosed. Fold sides of wrapper over the top. Using a pastry brush, wet the top corner with water. Roll up TIGHTLY, forming a tube. Repeat.
- In an electric skillet or deep fat fryer, heat oil to 375'. Fry mozzarella sticks, a few at a time, for 1 minute or until golden brown, turning occasionally. Drain on paper towels, or heavy brown paper bag. Discard bay leaf from marinara sauce. Serve with mozzarella sticks.