Recipe by Pinay0618
I love mac and cheese, but sometimes the traditional cheddar versions have way more salt than I can handle. I love the texture of this one, too - there's no grainy feel to the sauce like you get with cheddar cheese. Recipe is by Angie McGowan of the blog Eclectic Recipes.
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons Gold Medal all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic, very finely chopped
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (8 oz)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook and drain macaroni as directed on package.
- In 10-inch skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Using whisk, stir in flour, salt and garlic. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until mixture smells nutty and is lightly golden, stirring constantly with whisk.
- Add milk. Continue to beat with whisk, scraping bottom of skillet until mixture heats to boiling. Mixture will thicken. Remove from heat; add cheese and basil. Stir with whisk until smooth. Stir in drained macaroni.
- Serve with additional basil leaves if desired.