Prep 5 mins
Cook 8 mins
This is a recipe from Nigella Bites, posted in response to a recipe request.
- 6 slices white bread, crusts removed
- mozzarella cheese, cut into approximately 1/4 inch slices, then strips (1 fist-sized ball)
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper
- olive oil (for frying, not extra-virgin)
- Make sandwiches out of the bread and mozzarella, leaving a little margin around the edges unfilled with cheese, and press the edges together with your fingers to help seal.
- (One of the advantages of soft white bread is that it is easily smushed together.) Pour the milk into one soup bowl, the flour into another, and beat the egg with salt and pepper in another.
- Warm the oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Dunk the sandwiches briefly, one by one, in the milk, then dredge in the flour, then dip in the beaten egg.
- Fry in hot oil on each side till crisp and golden and remove to a paper towel.
- Cut in half and apply to face.
I love these decadent little sandwiches! I have made this same recipe several times after seeing it demonstrated on the Nigella Bites tv show. On the show, she uses fresh mozzarella, which gets so soft and sweet when melted. Ooooh - this is truly comforting food. Very easy, although a little messy the first time around. Works best with ordinary sandwich bread - I sometimes stick on a slice of tomato and a couple of fresh basil leaves too. Yum yum!
Made this for NYE 2008... went down really well with my hubby. I had dipping sauces with it and it was great..
This is yummy! I sometimes use whole wheat bread and it works fine too. You can also add tomato slices to the mozarella filling!