Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
You will love this! From Sara's Secrets.
- 1 fresh mozzarella cheese, ball
- 4 slices white bread, crusts trimmed
- 2 large eggs, beaten,more as needed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- salt and pepper
- plain breadcrumbs, as needed
- olive oil, for frying
Quick Marinara Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 pinch sugar
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaf
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Cut the mozzarella into enough 1/4-inch thick slices to cover 2 slices of the bread.
- Reserve the remaining mozzarella for another use.
- Top the cheese with the remaining 2 slices of bread, to make 2 sandwiches, and press down to compact.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, garlic, and parsley and season with salt and pepper.
- Put the bread crumbs on a plate.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, pour the in oil to a depth of 1/4-inch.
- When the oil is hot, dip each sandwich into the egg mixture, dredge in the bread crumbs, and fry, turning once, until crisp and the cheese has melted.
- Cut each sandwich in 1/2 and serve, while still hot, with the marinara sauce on the side for dipping.
- Marinara Sauce: Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes and sugar and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and stir in the basil and parsley.
A most decadent grilled sandwich. I was lucky enough to have some of my own marinara sauce ready, so this recipe came together in no time. The oozy richness of the melted cheese and crunchy bread was contrasted beautifully by the marinara sauce. A keeper!
OH BOY...I reallllllllly did enjoy this!!!! Fabulous lunch hehe... just fabulous. I think i like this more than mozz sticks!!! Im a huge fan of mozz sticks!!! I will DEFINITELY make this again.. probably in a couple of days hehe. Thank you SO MUCH for this recipe!!!