2 hrs 45 mins
This came originally from Bon Appetite in the late eighties. I've probably made it a hundred times since, and it's evolved a bit from the original recipe which I no longer have. I included my bread machine whole wheat crust recipe here, but I suspect it will work with any crust. The recipe as written makes two pizzas - You can half it to do only one, but it is so good leftover that you might as well make two. It's really good leftover - it seems to get better in the fridge. I eat it the next morning for breakfast - just microwave 1 slice uncovered on high for one minute. Yum!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the pizza crust
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cups water, minus 2 tablespoons
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons instant yeast
- 4 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
For the pizza topping
- 1Mix the water, flours, olive oil, salt, sugar, yeast, and Parmesan in a bread machine and start the dough cycle.
- 2When the machine starts running, add a bit of water or flour as needed to get a nice texture to the dough. Not too dry or too wet.
- 3Place pizza stone in oven and heat as high as it will go. The stone needs to get real hot and it will take half an hour or so to get it heated through.
- 4Combine 8 Tablespoons olive oil, the garlic and red pepper in small bowl. Refrigerate.
- 5Combine mozzarella, parsley, Parmesan and thyme in plastic bag. Shake it around to combine and set aside.
- 6Thin slice the tomatoes and save in a plastic bag. Set aside.
- 7When the bread machine announces that the dough is done, reduce the oven heat to 350 and leave the oven door open for a while to allow it to quickly cool down to 350.
- 8Coat work surface and roller with flour, remove dough from machine, split in half and roll out a 14 inch diameter crust. Place the other half of the dough in a plastic bag and set aside.
- 9Poke the crust all over with a fork and brush with olive oil. Place pizza on the hot stone and bake at 350 until top is set and bottom starts to brown - about 10 minutes.
- 10Brush crust with half of the reserved oil/garlic mixture. Cover evenly with 1 can of drained clams, half of the tomato slices, and half of the reserved cheese mixture in that order.
- 11Return to oven and bake until cheese is melted and crust is brown on the bottom - around 10 minutes.
- 12Cut into eight slices and serve. Repeat from step 8 using the rest of the ingredients to make another pizza.
Browse Our Top Clams Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Clams Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mozzarella - Clam Pizza
Serving Size: 1 (321 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 630.1
- Calories from Fat 267
- Total Fat 29.7 g
- Saturated Fat 7.6 g
- Cholesterol 40.1 mg
- Sodium 1117.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 24.9 g