Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
The colors of the Italian flag—red, white, and green.
Top Review by Scrapbook Lori
Great sandwich for a wintery dinner. Served with Italian wedding soup, and I added a slice of prosciutto to each sandwich as well. Since there are only 2 of us, we had leftovers, which we wrapped in foil and reheated in the oven. Tasted great! Thanks for sharing.
- 4 ciabatta rolls
- 3⁄4 cup basil pesto (Basil Pesto)
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4 red bell peppers, cored, seeded, cut into 1-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- kosher salt
Directions See How It's Made
- See recipe #225648 for instructions on how to make peperonata; you will use 1 cup in this recipe.
- Preheat a panini grill.
- Slice off the domed top of the ciabatta rolls; the rolls should now be about 1 inch thick.
- Split the rolls in half horizontally.
- Spread the top halves of the rolls with basil pesto, covering them completely.
- Spread the bottom halves of the rolls with a thin layer of peperonata.
- Lay the mozzarella slices over the peperonata in a single layer.
- Season with salt and pepper before covering the panini with the top half of the ciabatta.
- Grill sandwiches for 4 minutes until the bread is golden brown and the cheese has set.
- Cut each in half and serve immediately.