24 hrs 25 mins
This is posted in response to a request: it was found in the 1999 Food & Wine Annual.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened,plus
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 10 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup finely ground blanched almond, plus
- 1 tablespoon finely ground blanched almond
- 3 large hard-boiled egg yolks, cooled to room temp and pressed through a fine sieve
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large granny smith apple, peeled,cored,and cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 6 large egg whites, at room temp
- 1MAKE THE PASTRY: Cream the butter in a food processor.
- 2Add the confectioners' sugar, ground almonds, egg yolks, cinnamon and salt and process until smooth.
- 3Add the rum and pulse to blend.
- 4Add the flour and baking powder and pulse to blend.
- 5Transfer the dough to a floured work surface and gather into a ball.
- 6Cut the dough into thirds; pat each piece into a 6-inch disk and wrap separately in plastic.
- 7Refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 2 days.
- 8Let the dough soften slightly before rolling out.
- 9Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
- 10Line 3 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- 11On a lightly floured surface, roll 1 disk of the dough into a 10-inch round.
- 12Using the bottom of a springform pan as a guide, cut out a 9-inch round.
- 13Carefully transfer the round to a parchment-lined baking sheet and chill for 30 minutes.
- 14Repeat with the remaining disks of dough.
- 15Prick the rounds all over with a fork and then bake them one at a time for 20-25 minutes, or until lighlty browned.
- 16Transfer the pastry to a rack and let cool completely.
- 17MAKE THE MOUSSE: In a bowl, combine the apple with 1 Tablespoon of the sugar and the cinnamon.
- 18In a large heavy skillet, melt the butter over moderately high heat.
- 19Add the apple and cook over high heat, stirring, until lightly crusted and tender, but not mushy, 3-5 minutes.
- 20Add the rum, carefully ignite it and stir the apple to coat.
- 21Transfer to a plate and let cool to room temp.
- 22In a small saucepan, heat the cream with the cinnamon stick until bubbles appear around the edge.
- 23Remove from the heat, cover and let steep for 10 minutes.
- 24Meanwhile, melt the chocolate in a metal bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water.
- 25Remove from the heat.
- 26Strain the hot cream over the chocolate and discard the cinnamon stick.
- 27Gently stir unmtil smooth and let cool until tepid.
- 28In a bowl, beat the egg whites until very foamy.
- 29Gradually add the remaining 3 Tablespoons of sugar, beating until stiff glossy peaks form.
- 30Using a large rubber spatula, fold one-quarter of the beaten whites into the chocolate.
- 31Fold in the remaining whites and then fold in the apple.
- 32Set 1 cinnamon pastry round in the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan and spread half of the chocolate mousse on top.
- 33Cover with a second cinnamon pastry round, pressing gently.
- 34Spread the rest of the mousse over the top and cover with the last pastry round.
- 35Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 8 hours.
- 36GARNISH THE CAKE: Remove the sides of the pan and pat a thin layer of chocolate shavings against the side of the cake.
- 37Cut 5 thin slices from the apples and rub with lemon juice.
- 38Fan the apple slices on the cake.
- 39In a small saucepan, melt the apple jelly over moderately high heat and brush a thin layer over the apples.
- 40Garnish with the cinnamon sticks and serve.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mozart Cake II
Serving Size: 1 (1789 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 5170.3
- Calories from Fat 3072
- Total Fat 341.3 g
- Saturated Fat 187.2 g
- Cholesterol 1409.1 mg
- Sodium 1127.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 438.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 25.6 g
- Sugars 168.1 g
- Protein 84.9 g