Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I am honored to have adopted this recipe from Moxie. Here is her original description: This is one of my favorite party appetizers. Serve it on a plate with marinated cherry tomatoes in the center. The 2 hour cook time is really the time it takes to chill before slicing.
- 12 ounces mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups mascarpone cheese
- 6 ounces gorgonzola or 6 ounces other blue cheese
- 1⁄2 cup packed torn fresh basil leaf
- Put a piece of plastic wrap on a flat counter.
- Cut mozzarella into 1/4-inch-thick slices and arrange in rows on the plastic wrap, overlapping by 1 inch.
- Place another sheet of plastic wrap on top, and with a rolling pin, carefully flatten the cheese into a sheet about 1/4-inch thick (you're shooting for a rectangle about 10x13 inches).
- Take the top sheet of plastic off, and spread the mascarpone cheese over mozzarella.
- Crumble Gorgonzola on top and sprinkle the basil on top.
- Using the plastic wrap to help you lift the cheese, carefully roll the cheese into a log.
- Wrap tightly in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate log at least 2 hours.
- To serve, cut into slices about 3/4 inch thick.
Ah, synastry. I found the cheeses I needed the day after you won the football pool! This was delicious, moxie. I also found some proscuitto ham and added a layer of that when I rolled the cheeses up. We really enjoyed this, thanks for posting!
I could not get the nice mozzarella sheet. Perhaps slice deli cheese would have worked better. A waste of expensive ingredients.
So rich and delicious! The ingredients are expensive if you're on a budget, but these are very much worth it! I also added proscuitto, and doubled the recipe for a dinner party I'm attending this evening. I halfed the amount of mascarpone because it just seemed a little too rich to use all of it, but they came out wonderfully, displayed on a serving tray with a decoratively cut orange. Hope they're a big hit tonight...the boyfriend and I certainly loved them!