Recipe by Muffin Goddess
I use my Family Favorite Basic Meatballs and Fresh Tomato Sauce (recipes posted separately) to make these for family movie nights (hence the name). They are a little less messy to eat than most meatball subs due to the hollowed-out rolls, and the unused bread chunks can be used for other purposes.
Top Review by weekend cooker
I cheated a little and used frozen meatballs, and cooked them, other than that made these as a little appetizer tonight for the football game.. I added a little extra mozzerella and enjoyed this tonight. Cut each sub in half for smaller portions, using 2 half subs for each 1. Also topped each with a small dash of Parmesan cheese.. Made for I Recommend..
- 4 (6 inch) hoagie rolls, hollowed out
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded (if you like very cheesy meatball subs, you may want to have extra mozzarella on hand for topping)
- 12 meatballs (I use Family Favorite Basic Meatballs, see recipe posted separately)
- fresh tomato sauce (see recipe posted separately)
- grated parmesan cheese (fresh or canister, your preference)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Slice a thin layer off the top of each sub roll. Remove some of the bread inside to form a bread "boat". I like to reserve the unused bread chunks for fresh breadcrumbs, or they can be used in bread pudding.
- Brush inside of hollowed rolls with olive oil.
- Fill bottom of buns with 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella each. Place on a baking sheet and bake until buns are lightly browned and cheese is melted.
- Fill subs with Fresh Tomato Sauce and 3 meatballs. Top with more sauce, sprinkle with the grated cheese (and more mozzarella if you like).
- Return subs to oven briefly, just to melt the cheese on top.
- Be sure to have lots of napkins handy, and enjoy.