Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
The Guinness in this recipe has the same function as the wine in Coq Au Vin - the acid and moisture combined with the long, slow cooking tenderises the flavoursome meat.
- 2 1⁄2-3 lbs mutton shanks or 2 1⁄2-3 lbs lamb shanks
- 2 large onions
- 6 medium carrots
- 2 tablespoons seasoned flour
- fat or beef drippings
- 6 fluid ounces Guinness stout
- 2 fluid ounces water
- 1 bunch fresh parsley sprig, chopped
- Cut the meat into chunks and peel and slice the onions and carrots.
- Toss the meat in the flour and brown quickly in hot fat.
- Remove the meat and fry the onions gently, in the same skillet, until transparent.
- Place the meat, onions, carrots, Guinness and water in a crockpot.
- Cover tightly and cook and cook for at least 2 hours.
- Check that the dish does not dry out, adding more liquid if necessary.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve with mint sauce and plain boiled potatoes.
This recipe is one of the reasons I bought a Crockpot/Slowcooker. Thanks.