Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I happened to get this recipe from the internet months ago and have already made it many times since I'm a big lasagna fan! I adapted it a little bit this time. Surprisingly the result came out so great. My hubby loved it so much and said this is the way in which I should make my lasagnas in the future! We ate it with some freshly toasted garlic bread. WOW!--so yummy:-) And of course, you can prepare in advance. Just let it cool and store it in the fridge for a couple of days and then microwave it on the highest temperature for 2 minutes and you're ready to enjoy! The leftovers even tastes better!
- 1⁄2 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 -2 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 large carrot, finely chopped
- 300 g lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup tomato paste
- 450 g freshly chopped tomatoes (about 6 small ones)
- 1 cup chicken broth (or beef broth, or water but would taste different)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 spinach lasagna sheets, no precook
- 200 g shredded cheddar cheese or 200 g mozzarella cheese
- 25 g butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 400 ml milk
- 1 slice cheddar cheese, about 25g (or shredded Parmesan cheese)
- salt and pepper
- Brown the beef in a large sauce pan on medium heat until cooked through; stir frequently.
- Add onion and garlic and cook until onion softens and becomes translucent; stir frequently.
- Add tomato paste and stir until meat is evenly coated with the tomato paste. Then add chopped tomatoes, chicken broth, oregano, salt and pepper; give it a quick stir.
- Bring the meat mixture to a boil then reduce the heat to low. Let it simmer covered for 30 minutes until it thickens. Stir occasionally.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- In another small sauce pan, mix together the butter, flour and milk. Put on low heat and stir vigorously until it thickens, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add cheddar cheese slice or shredded parmesan cheese. Continue stirring until the cheese melts.
- Finally add salt and pepper to your taste.
- Assemble the lasagna: Put the first layer meat sauce, second layer lasagna, third layer meat sauce, then bechamel sauce, shredded cheddar cheese, lasagna, meat. Repeat this until you use up all the sauces, making the final layer bechamel sauce.
- Bake for 35 minutes until the bechamel is lightly golden brown. Let it cool for 15-20 minutes before serving.
My sons GF made this for us for dinner and all I can say is WOW....the absolute best Lasagna I have ever had. We all loved it and said we haven't had anything as good as this even in a fine restaurant...hope she makes it again and again for us...thanks for the recipe..