I usually make a nice Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe that I got from Taste of Home, but this particular night, I wanted something a little different. I had a couple containers of arugula in my refrigerator and wanted to see if I could use that in the soup recipe.....I did! This soup really is quite spicy, but I am approximating on all the spice and vegetable amounts. Please feel free to alter the spices and veggie content to your liking. As I have it right now, there remains a nice heat in my mouth after a couple bites but not so much so that I am feeling a need for bread or milk. ;) Note--you can definitely leave the chicken out to have just a vegetarian soup; the vegetables are the main appearance here, not the chicken! You could also very easily add tofu cubes to the soup instead of the chicken. If you try this, I do hope you enjoy it and find it as simple as I did to make.
- 2 cups carrots, chopped
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 42 ounces fat-free low-sodium chicken broth (three 14-oz cans)
- 1 large tomato
- 1⁄2 small onion
- 10 ounces rotel original diced tomatoes
- 10 ounces rotel diced tomatoes with lime and cilantro
- 12 1⁄2 ounces 98% fat free chicken breasts, chopped (you can use canned, but I would recommend emptying chicken into strainer first and rinsing thoroughl)
- 3⁄4 cup frozen corn (again, if you use canned, please rinse well to get rid of that sodium!)
- 2 1⁄2 ounces fresh arugula
- In medium saucepan, pour one can of chicken broth, carrots, celery, minced onion, garlic, Rotel lime and cilantro diced tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, lemon pepper and bay leaf.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes, or until carrots are tender.
- Meanwhile, slice the tomato and onion into quarters.
- Broil the tomato and onion for five minutes (sprayed with nonstick spray or rubbed with 1/2 teaspoons oil, whichever you prefer) or until tender; puree the tomato and onion with the other can of Rotel tomatoes.
- When carrots are tender, add the 2nd can of chicken broth, the pureed tomato mixture, chicken, corn, and arugula.
- Let the soup mixture simmer for another 20 minutes, then enjoy!