Cook2 hrs 30 mins
This is the most delicious pot roast I've ever had, and I've had many. The moist meat falls apart. Also, it doesn't give you that heavy feeling after you eat it. My whole family loves this and I would definitely serve it to special guests. It's fairly easy to make and is very hard to mess up.
- 2 -3 1⁄2 lbs beef shoulder
- 3 teaspoons black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 cups dry red wine (I use Merlot)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley (fresh or dry)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic (heaping)
- 2 1⁄2 cups onions (chopped into large pieces)
- 2 cups baby carrots (1 bag)
- 8 red potatoes
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes (include juice)
- 1⁄4 cup Italian salad dressing
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Trim fat from sides of roast.
- Rub roast with black pepper.
- Heat olive oil in large pot or large casserole safe for stove & oven. After heated, brown roast for several minutes on each side, browning well.
- Pour in stock, wine, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper, and garlic.
- Stir in onions, carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, & Italian dressing.
- Bring to a simmer on the stove. Transfer to oven, covered, and bake for 2 1/2 hours. Make sure roast is on bottom. For larger roasts, uncover and bake an additional 1 hour.
- Serve hot or refrigerate for later. Enjoy!
Loved this dish, although i have to admit i had to make couple changes as i didn't have any carrots or Italian salad dressing and due to my oven not working properly had to do it in the stove ... but will definitely try it next time with all the ingredients.
I am not sure if I qualify for rating this because I made several changes to the recipe. First, I converted the recipe for crock pot cooking. Next, I left out the wine because my husband doesn't consume acoholic beverages. I increased the salad dressing to 1/3 cup and reduced the garlic to 2 heaping teaspoons. I also added a stalk of celery cut into 1/2 inch slices. I do recommend this recipe and will definitely make it again.
This pot roast is so yummy:) It was fall apart tender and just delicious! I think it'd be great with adding mushrooms in, or any veggie you prefer. Also next time I might add a couple boullion cubes to the liquid to make it a bit richer and for a lil saltyness(just personal preference). This will definitely be made again, and was loved by all, thanks for sharing! I made this for PAC 2007 :)