Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a very tasty and inexpensive meal, taking very little cooking time. The mutton is juicy and succulent. The meat's juices incorporate into the creamy mushroom sauce, making for a flavourful, mouth-watering experience. Although the field mushrooms give the sauce a delicious richness, they can be supplemented with any type of fresh mushroom.
- 2 forequarter mutton chops
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 1 garlic clove (crushed)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon vinegar or 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 large field mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- In a hot pan, add some butter and the chops.
- Season chops with salt and pepper, and cook briefly on each side until browned.
- Remove the chops from the pan.
- Add onion and garlic to pan, and sautee for a few minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until tender.
- Add sour cream and stir.
- Add vinegar/lemon juice and stir.
- Return the chops to the pan, bathing them in the sauce.
- Cover pan with lid and simmer for around 5-10 minutes, depending on how cooked you like your meat. We recommend cooking until medium-rare.
- Adjust seasoning (salt & pepper) as necessary.
- Plate with mashed potato, rice, pasta and/or vegetables.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley to serve.
- This recipe can be easily multiplied to cater for more.