Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
These delicious coconut cookies are popular anytime of year...not hard to make and store well in a tin.
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup unbleached flour
- 3 cups unsweetened dried shredded coconut
- Beat egg whites until starting to expand but still soft.
- Add sugar, honey, and extracts.
- Beat at high speed until very stiff peaks form about 8-10 minutes.
- Fold in flour and coconut by hand.
- Drop on well-buttered baking sheets by heaping teaspoonfuls, or use a pastry bag with a star tip#2.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 10 minutes or until golden.
- Let cool for a minute, then carefully remove to a rack to cool.
- Variations: For cocomacs, add 1 additional tablespoon honey to egg white.
- Then fold in 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa with the flour.
- Dip the bottoms of cooled macaroons in melted semisweet chocolate, drying upside down on a rack.
- Sandwich two dipped macaroons together to make a"macwich.
- If you can only find sweetened coconut, reduce the amount of sugar in the recipe to 1/4 cup.