Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 20 mins
This is a remake of a recipe that was in a Woman's Day Cookbook of many years ago. I changed the seasoning to my liking.
- Clean the livers, removing any fat and large veins. Place whole in a bowl of cold water and set aside.
- Peel potatoes and carrots, or if thin-skinned, scrub clean. Cut all the vegetables into medium-sized dice.
- Remove livers from water and discard water.
- Place livers in a large saucepan with cover.
- Add 3 cups of water and all the listed seasonings minus the Kitchen Bouquet.
- Bring to a soft rolling boil and immediately turn down to a simmer. Cook 10 minutes. Remove the livers with a slotted spoon to a cutting board. Cut up into small pieces, but larger then the vegetables.
- Return liver to broth along with the vegetables.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour. Don't cook at higher heat or any longer or it will turn into mush. Stir occasionally. Add a small amount of extra water if it seems too dry.
- You can add a few drops of the Bouquet to give it a richer color or use my recipe for Browned Flour recipe#161962 to both thicken and color.
mmmm this was very good, thanks