Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
From last week's "Weekend" magazine, Foodcourt column. You can make these and take them to work(for your lunch break) or pack these in tiffin boxes for your kids for school or just serve them as a snack item in the evenings! Either which ways, these are G-R-E-A-T!
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (atta)
- water, to knead
- ghee or oil, to shallow fry (Use ghee for authenticity)
For the carrot and cheese filling
- 2 cups fresh carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Sieve flour and salt in a large bowl.
- Add water, a little at a time, and knead well to make a dough.
- Keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Now mix all the ingredients listed under carrot and cheese filling in a bowl.
- Divide the dough into 8 balls.
- Roll each ball into a paratha.
- Place spoonfuls of the carrot-cheese filling on each paratha.
- Bring together the edges of the paratha and seal completely.
- Roll out the parathas, one at a time.
- Heat a tsp.
- or two of ghee/oil on a flat bottomed pan (tava).
- Shallow fry the paratha with ghee on one side.
- When light brown specs begin to appear,flip the side, and shallow fry on the other side also briefly.
- Remove from tava.
- Wipe off excess oil on clean kitchen paper napkins.
- Likewise, repeat for all the parathas.
- Serve hot!
i tried these parathas but they were very difficult to make because of the water which was coming out of the carrots and making it difficult to roll and was messy. taste was good but ... i think if they are directly mixed in the folur and made, it will be easy.
Delicious taste, but I was not sure how thick the finished parathas should be and ended up with them a little too thick and doughy. I will cook them again, armed with the info to make them thinner!
These parathas are absolutely marvelous. they taste wonderful by themselves, but go with just about any indian dish I choose to prepare. the flavor is a delicious, subtle and surprising mix. also, not hard to make at all as most parathas are not difficult.