This is a bit more time consuming than most, but it's delicious. And since it's so good, you'll likely feel like making everyday for a week the first time you try it. I recommend buying quite a bit of cheese, and extra tomatoes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 loaf French bread (or a Bagette, or anything you like.)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (for frying, you may need more or a bit less)
- 3 firm cubed roma tomatoes (any tomatoes work but I like Roma)
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme (or 1 tsp each dried herbs)
- 5 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (for mixing with tomatoes)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1Place your 1/2 cup of olive oil in a pan so that you have a depth of around 1/4- 1/2 inch of oil. Turn burner to med-low, and wait for oil to heat. Turn your oven to 400°F.
- 2While you are waiting, slice your bread into 1/2-3/4 inch thick slices. Put aside.
- 3Cube your tomatoes, add all the herbs, the Parmesan cheese, splash of oil, and the garlic. mix completely, and put aside. By now, your oil should be hot enough. Drop a small crumb of bread in to test. Oil should bubble fast immediately. If it does, you may also notice that the surface of the oil seems to shimmer a bit. This means it's hot.
- 4Line a baking sheet with paper towelling, and place close to the stove for drainage.
- 5Using kitchen tongs, place a slice (or two if the pan is large enough) into the hot oil. Turn it once to fry second side. Fry until it seems golden on both sides, then place to drain on paper towel.
- 6Repeat with all the bread. If the oil starts to smoke, turn the burner down, and wait about five minutes for the oil to cool a wee bit.
- 7Once all the bread is done (about ten minutes hopefully), take the paper towel away, and line the pieces on your cooking sheet. Top each slice of bread with a heap of tomato mixture, and a sprinkle of mozza and parmesan cheeses.
- 8Place cooking sheet in the oven to melt the cheese, (about 5-10 minutes), and serve immediately. This will make you want to eat nothing but fried bread and tomatoes for the rest of your life. Really impresses friends too. :D.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mouth Watering Bruschetta
Serving Size: 1 (246 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 467.4
- Calories from Fat 251
- Total Fat 27.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.4 g
- Cholesterol 18.4 mg
- Sodium 643.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 12.7 g