Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
This combination of delicious chocolate cake, dark chocolate frosting, and a fun, whimsical theme make these mustache-shaped cake pops the best in the business! This recipe can also be used to make regular ball-shaped cake pops. Have fun!
- 118.32 ml cocoa powder
- 236.59 ml boiling water
- 118.29 ml unsalted butter, softened, plus more for greasing
- 236.59 ml granulated sugar
- 395.10 ml self-rising flour, plus more for the tin (I didn't have self-rising flour so I made some using this recipe ( 1 cup flour, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1 1/2)
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 1.23 ml baking soda
- 1.23 ml salt
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 118.29 ml unsalted butter, softened
- 473.18 ml powdered sugar, sifted
- 395.10 ml chocolate, melted and cooled
- 396.89 g bag white chocolate candy melts
- Make chocolate cake.
- Put the cocoa into a heatproof bowl, pour in the boiling water and stir until combined.
- Set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Lightly grease and flour a 10-inch (25-centimeter) round cake tin.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Mix in the vanilla.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well.
- Pour in the dry ingredients and gently beat until combined.
- Fold in the cooled cocoa until the color of the mixture is even.
- Pour into the tin and bake for 45–60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Once baked, leave to cool in the tin for 20 minutes.
- Turn out onto a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Make chocolate frosting.
- Cream the butter.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar and then the chocolate.
- Continue to cream until light and fluffy.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes before using.
- Make cake balls.
- Combine chocolate cake and chocolate frosting in mixer to create cake ball mix.
- Take mix and roll into approximately 20 medium-sized cake balls.
- Cool cake balls in refrigerator until chilled.
- Form mustache cake pops.
- Roll each cake ball into a log shape with your hands.
- Use a lollipop stick to make an indentation in the top center and bottom center of each “log.”.
- Squeeze and pinch the center of the “log” to shape the middle of the moustache. Now squeeze and pinch the ends, curling each one upwards to create a handlebar moustache shape.
- Melt the candy.
- Dip the end of each lollipop stick 3/4 inch into the candy and insert a stick into the center of each moustache.
- Leave to set.
- Dip each pop into the candy, dipping from left to right to get an even coating.
- Insert into a polystyrene block to dry.