Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a French mousse sort of chicken liver pate. The blender and the milk give it its lightness. Use a white Port, if you can.
- 1 lb chicken liver
- 1 cup milk, boiling
- 1 tablespoon shallot, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup port wine
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice, ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Put the chicken liver, shallots, salt and pepper in a food processor or blender, and whizz this until it is very finely chopped.
- Add the 2 eggs. Blend this in to further smooth everything.
- Once the mixture is nicely blended, add the very hot to boiling milk, and mix this on a low speed. The mousse will become a light color.
- Add now the allspice and the Port, and blend this in nicely.
- Divide this mixture into 6 ramekins. Put the ramekins in a pan to which you add 1/2" or so of water, and put this into a preheated 400F oven for about one half hour.
- You know it's done when it is firm, like a cooked cake.
- You can serve this cold as a pate, but also warm on grilled, thin white toast upon which you have spread an onion marmalade.
- The yield is difficult to talk about, because some people will eat the content of the ramekin, whereas others are happy with just a few slices!