Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
From "Fast, Fancy Desserts", Good Food Magazine, May 1987. Prep time does not include 3 hours to chill.
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 large eggs, separated, room temperature
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream, whipped, for garnish
- Heat chocolate and butter, stirring frequently, in top of double boiler over simmering water until completely melted and smooth. Remove from heat and whisk in egg yolks until blended. Immediately transfer to mixing bowl.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in second mixing bowl until very stiff. Using wire whisk, fold half the egg whites into chocolate mixture. Beat remaining whites quickly to make sure they are smooth and fold into chocolate mixture with rubber spatula.
- Transfer mousse to serving bowl or individual stemmed glasses. Refrigerate covered until set, about 3 hours. Serve cold, garnished with whipped cream.