1/2 Photos of Moussaka With Yogurt Sauce (Gluten Free)
1 hr 20 mins
Mia in Germany's Note:
Originally, moussaka is made with béchamel sauce. To have a gluten and cow's milk free moussaka, I came up with this one. I used goat's milk yogurt but will post it with normal yogurt. You can also use creamy Greek yogurt. In place of the pecorino, you can use parmesan cheese. If you don't have to be gluten free, you can use regular wheat flour in place of the rice flour and cornstarch.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Boil potatoes for 15 minutes, until nearly done. Peel and cut into 1/3 inch slices.
- 2Cut eggplant into 1/2 inch slices. Sprinkle with salt and let rest for 10 minutes.
- 3Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 4After ten minutes, pat eggplant slices dry, lightly oil them and spread on a paper lined cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes, until lightly golden. Remove from oven.
- 5Mince garlic.
- 6Brown ground beef, season with salt and pepper to taste, add minced garlic, beef broth and canned tomatoes. Let simmer for 5 minutes and remove from stove.
- 7Combine yogurt, eggs, rice flour and cornstarch, season with salt and pepper to taste. I used about 1/4 teaspoon salt for 2 cups of yogurt, but you might need less, depending on how salty your beef broth is.
- 8Preheat oven to 390 degrees.
- 9Grease oven proof casserole dish with olive oil, layer first with one layer eggplant slices, then 1 layer potato slices, then half if the meat. Pour half of the yogurt sauce over meat layer. Repeat layers, top with rest of the yogurt sauce, then top with grated pecorino or parmesan cheese.
- 10Bake, covered, for 30 minutes, then remove lid and bake uncovered for another 10 minutes.
- 11Serve with green salad as a side.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moussaka With Yogurt Sauce (Gluten Free)
Serving Size: 1 (897 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 819.0
- Calories from Fat 343
- Total Fat 38.1 g
- Saturated Fat 14.0 g
- Cholesterol 200.8 mg
- Sodium 642.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 79.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.0 g
- Sugars 14.4 g
- Protein 42.3 g